What Is Steampunk?
What is steampunk? Ask 50 people and you’ll get 50 answers.
I'm a far future science fiction writer at heart. So I like to call steampunk “Victorian-inspired” – science fiction using Victorian (and Edwardian) era aesthetics, social mores, and tech (particularly steam-powered technology) – although you could have steampunk fantasy or horror if you wanted to.
So why is the Red Dog Conspiracy steampunk?
- the series is set in a far future neo-Victorian dystopia – and I’ve tried my best to keep it to hard SF (that is, what could actually happen with our current knowledge of physics)
- the entire city of Bridges is a steam-powered mechanism (including the Aperture in the wall of the dome)
- clockwork devices are all over the place, from the enormous dais at the Grand Ball to the clocks on every other lamp post
- the society has the dress, tech level, issues, and social mores of the Victorian era (good and bad) – particularly as played out in Gilded Age America
- the city has a whole class of tinkerers, the Inventors, who are in the highest levels in the social structure
- travel is by steam locomotive, horse-and-carriage, sail, and zeppelin
- the taxi-drivers wear goggles! ;)
Once I tell people about my story, I’m often asked: okay, a neo-noir sounds cool. Why write a steampunk one?
(Answer: mainly because I like steampunk. And when I got the idea for it, I had never heard of that combination before. But as it turns out there are several out there! I may do some reviews later.)
Any other questions?
If you want to see what Wikipedia says about steampunk, you’re welcome to look here.
Get more behind the scenes action!
This blog post is partially underwritten by my Patrons.
- digital versions of all my books and stories - even ones not yet published - at no extra cost
- massive discounts on merchandise
- behind the scenes stuff
- character discussions
- and so much more.
Want to check it out? It's free to follow along. Click here to learn more.
Find my books:
Amazon, Audible, the Amazon logo, and the Audible logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. The Apple logo and iBooks are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Patricia Loofbourrow is an independent author and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Apple Inc.
Want to help?
A portion of sales from the Red Dog Conspiracy series go to non-profit organizations which help domestic violence and child abuse survivors.
Sep 08, 20 06:25 AM
I've decided to change direction on my covers. More to come.
Aug 20, 20 06:50 AM
Find out about The Five of Diamonds: Part 6 of the Red Dog Conspiracy, by Patricia Loofbourrow
Jul 02, 20 02:14 PM
Want to know the backstory for the Red Dog Conspiracy series? Pick a prequel.